New Round of Implementation Assessments in 2017
In a fifth round of transparently sharing updates on achieving their 2020 emission reduction targets, 18 developed countries will present their achievements in implementing climate policies in May.
Known as the ‘multilateral assessment’ the interactive implementation update will take place during the forty-sixth session of the Subsidiary Body for Implementation (SBI) in Bonn.
Among the 18 countries that will present updates are the United States of America, France and the Russian Federation are (full list of countries can be found here).
The implementation updates involve an important preparatory stage, which includes an online question and answer period among Governments. To this end, actions and inputs from all Parties are needed in the next few months and can be submitted via the ‘MA Portal’.
Specifically, the timeline for the implementation update by developed countries is as follows:
- 1 to 28 February 2017: submission of questions by any Government to the 18 participating countries via the MA Portal.
- 1 March to 30 April 2017: Preparation and posting of answers by the participating countries via the MA Portal.
- By 4 May 2017: showcasing of input received on the 18 individual country pages by the secretariat.
- During SBI 46, May 2017, Bonn: interactive sharing of implementation updates by the 18 developed countries on progress towards emission reduction target;
- July 2017: publication of country records, which include summary report on the multilateral assessment.
Previous rounds of implementation updates have created an atmosphere of trust and constructive exchange between Governments. They showed that majority of developed countries have made a very good progress towards decoupling their greenhouse gas emissions from economic growth.
Additionally, a number of Parties like the EU and Australia stated that they are on track to exceed their 2020 targets.
Reaping the benefits of transparency, countries recognised each other’s success stories and showed keen interest in scaling up and replicating policies and best practices.
For more information on previous rounds of implementation updates, please follow this link.
Where can you find Customer Services for WordPress